Friday, August 25, 2006

NO CONNECTION?

I was surfing through the TV recently, when I ran across Don Imus on MSNBC interviewing Senator Joe Leiberman.  The interview covered predictable ground, but it contained one quote by Imus that's been bothering me for days.  He made the statement that Saddam Hussein's Iraq almost certainly had nothing to do with terrorism.  Leiberman said nothing to refute the assertion.

Now, this isn't the first time I've heard someone say this.  Hell, if you follow the news closely, you probably hear or read it at least once a week.  I have two problems with what Imus said.  Number one, it is demonstrably false.  Number two, it has become, by default, an accepted truth.  After having been repeated ad nauseum by "experts" in the media without being refuted, many people have come to accept it without question.

If you doubt my second assertion, you can test it for yourself.  Survey several of your friends and coworkers.  Choose people who aren't news junkies.  Ask them if Saddam Hussein had any links to terrorism.  I'f be willing to bet that a majority will answer, without hesitation, that he did not.  You see, "everyone knows this," therefore it's true.

Of course it isn't true.  Don't believe me?  Check out some of these posts from my archives.  They were all written in 2004, when I was deployed to Qatar for OEF/OIF.  I apologize if some of the links are dead.  I checked many of them earlier, and most are still active.

IRAQ AND TERRORISM looks at some of the terrorists that have taken refuge in Iraq, and one group that operated openly there.  It also looks at a posible link between Iraq and the 1993 WTC bombing.

WELL COLOR ME SURPRISED looks at Zarqawi's pre-invasion presence and activities in Iraq.

MORE EVIDENCE OF THAT WHICH DOES NOT EXIST looks at a possible AQ-Iraq connection.  It includes MSM reports from the 1990s that point to a possible connection.

IRAQ AND TERRORISM-PART 2 looks at a possible link between Iraq, Islamist extremists, and the Oklahoma City federal building bombing.



Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter