Friday, May 13, 2005

FRIDAY THE 13TH: DODGED A BULLET (SO TO SPEAK)

It looks as if the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) storm clouds have receded from my base. Others weren't so lucky. A number of Guard and Reserve bases in NY are being closed. I figured we'd lose a few, including at least one Air Guard unit since NY has five flying units (more than any other state). I was kind of surprised it was Niagara Falls though. They had a Guard wing (refueling) and a Reserve wing (airlift) there. Both are leaving. I hope that the folks who want to stay in can find other units in which to continue their military careers. The process still has to go through the BRAC Committee, Congress, and the President, but previous BRAC rounds have shown that the DoD's list is usually how things wind up in the end.

If you're interested, you can read more about the BRAC process at the Defenseling BRAC website.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter