Thursday, May 25, 2006

SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED

I haven't had a good online rant in awhile, so I think I'm due. I'm sick to death of the following things:

"Objective" Journalism
The primary responsibility of a journalist is not to be "objective", "fair and balanced", or to "report both sides" of the story. Their primary responsibility is to be accurate. They need to get the details right, and let us worry about attaching meaning to them.

Jimmy Carter
I used to think he was a decent man who was just a lousy president. Now he just looks like a vain old man trying to salvage his place in history. Sorry Jimmy, but your place in history is assured, and there's nothing you can do to change it. Just go home and polish your Nobel prize before you do any more damage.

The GOP
I'm a firm believer in the two-party system, but we've been one party short for years. If the Republicans don't get their act together soon, we're liable to be two parties short.

Calling Illegal Aliens "Immigrants"
By definition, immigrants are those who immigrate, not those who sneak in. Calling the debate over what to do about the border and illegal aliens an "immigration" debate is just an artful way to change the subject.

The R-bomb
And speaking of the "immigration" debate, I'm sick of the left resorting to accusations of racism every time they can't come up with a cogent argument. The R-bomb is their doomsday machine, intended to end every argument as soon as it's detonated. The S-bomb (sexism) and the H-bomb (homophobia) are variants of the R-bomb.

Opinion Polls
The only polls that really count are taken at the ballot box. The rest is just filler for news droids that are too lazy (or lack the skills) to actually research or investigate a story.

Polling has gotten so ridiculous, I actually saw a poll on the MSN website about the outcome of the American Idol season finale, which is itself based on a poll. Yes, that's right, they did a poll about a poll.

American Idol
I don't care who won, I'm just glad it's over. For now, anyway. This is the most over-hyped show since Survivor. I hate that one too, by the way.

The da Vinci Code
The book. The movie. The controversy. Tom Hanks' hair. All of it. Enough already!

The Kennedys
Need I say more?

Courtroom Dramas as News
We have a new "trial of the century" every couple of months. Once the TV news trucks pull up outside the courthouse, justice (or anything like it) go right out the window. If it was up to me, it would be illegal to point a TV camera at a lawyer.



The above list isn't exhaustive, but it's what comes to mind at the moment. How about you? What are you sick of?

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter