Monday, April 30, 2007

BOUGHT AND PAID FOR

As you might already know, I'm no fan of former President Jimmy Carter.  I once referred to him as "an arrogant buffoon hiding behind a mask of piety."  As it turns out, my criticism of Mr. Carter may have fallen short of the mark.  Adding the word "corrupt" to my characterization of him may get me closer to a bullseye.  If Alan Dershowitz is to be believed, and I see no reason not to believe him, Carter may very well be corrupt. 

Recent disclosures of Carter's extensive financial connections  to Arab oil money, particularly from Saudi Arabia, had deeply shaken my belief in his integrity. When I was first told that he received a  monetary reward in the name of Shiekh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahayan, and kept the money, even after Harvard returned money from the same source because of its anti-Semitic history, I simply did not believe it. How  could a man of such apparent integrity enrich himself with dirty money  from so dirty a source?
 
And let there be no mistake about how dirty the Zayed Foundation is. I know because I was involved, in a small way, in helping to persuade Harvard University to return more than $2 million that the financially strapped Divinity School received from this source.  Initially, I was reluctant to put pressure on Harvard to turn back money  for the Divinity School, but then a student at the Divinity School, Rachael Lea Fish showed me the facts. 

They were staggering. I was amazed that in the twenty-first  century there were still foundations that espoused these views. The Zayed Centre for Coordination and Follow-up, a think-tank funded by the Shiekh and run by his son, hosted speakers who called Jews "the enemies of all nations," attributed the assassination of John Kennedy to Israel and the Mossad and the 9/11 attacks to the United States' own military, and stated that the Holocaust was a "fable." (They also hosted a speech by Jimmy Carter.) To its credit, Harvard turned the money back. To his discredit, Carter did not.

You can read the rest at Frontpage Magazine.  I won't hold my breath waiting for the mainstream media to pick up on this story.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter