Friday, March 05, 2004

It comes as no surprise that the Pres got battered over his first campaign ad since Kerry wrapped up the nomination. It seems that the families (at least a couple of them) of victims of the WTC attack on 9/11 are upset about the use of footage of the aftermath of the attack in an ad. Two women who lost loved ones in the attack made the rounds of the cable news shows last night attacking the president over this ad. On his radio show today, Rush Limbaugh played sound bites from their appearances. There were some striking similarities to their phrasing. Go to his site and check it out.

Personally, I don't think it was inappropriate to use the images, as long as it was tastefully done. The war on terrorism is the most important issue facing the country. It seems that too many people have forgotten 9/11. It has somehow been relegated to the "ancient history" pile. After I thought about the issue of the campaign ad for awhile, I searched out some video on the web of the second plane hitting the tower and of the towers collapsing. At first it didn't seem real, like I was watching the latest Hollywood action movie. Once I reminded myself that there were really people on those planes, and in those buildings, it brought back some emotions that I hadn't experienced in a long time. I think the whole country needs to be reminded of 9/11 periodically. It can keep us focused on what we're facing. Losing that focus is the surest way to lose this war.I

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter