Wednesday, January 26, 2005

MADAME SECRETARY

After debating it to death, the Senate finally voted to confirm Condoleeza Rice as Secretary of State. The final vote was 85-13 with two abstentions. All of the opposed were Democrats, except Jim Jeffords ("I"-VT); but lets face reality, Jumpin' Jim has been a Democrat in everything but name for years anyway. The following Senators voted no on Secretary Rice:

John "I can't believe I didn't win" Kerry (MA)
Ted "I'll drive you home right after I finish this drink" Kennedy (MA)
Daniel Akaka (HI)
Evan "No, really I am a moderate" Bayh (IN)
Richard Durbin (IL)
Jack Reed (RI)
Barbara "Liar, liar, pants on fire" Boxer (CA)
Tom Harkin (IA)
Robert "Sheets" Byrd (WV)
Frank Lautenberg (NJ)
Carl "My glasses are about to fall off the tip of my nose" Levin (MI)
Mark "The other Senator from Minnesota" Dayton (MN)
James "I'll prove my independence from the GOP by doing whatever the Dems tell me to" Jeffords (VT)

The following nadless wonders (supposed GOP members) abstained:
Judd Gregg (NH)
Conrad Burns (MT)
What's the deal boys? No opinion?

I'm not surprised that the Dems did what they did. They are desperate to beat President Bush in the 2004 election. Problem is, the election is over...they lost. Now we finally know what is more pathetic than a team trying to win using an outdated playbook; a team that is trying to win a game that is long since over.

The part of all this that really steams my clams is the conduct of several Senators before the vote. It's legitimate to ask tough questions. It's even legitimate to vote no. If you think it's the right thing to do, then do it. But calling Dr. Rice a liar - repeatedly - was way off the map. Like it or not, she is now the Secretary of State. She will be our country's face to the world. She will be our messenger. And a number of US Senators, some whom command (for reasons I can't fathom) widespread respect, just called this woman...a liar.

If you ever doubted that some of these people are willing to do damage to this country to win at politics, this episode should put those doubts to rest.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter