Monday, March 20, 2006

ANNIVERSARY--THE WAR IN IRAQ

In a column on Military.com, retired Navy CPO Jeff Edwards examines our national will in regards to the war in Iraq. He asks whether the cost of what we are trying to achieve there is too high. Is even one American life too high a price to pay?
I want to agree with this idea; I really do. The idealist in me wants to shout from the rooftops that even one fallen Soldier is too many. Even one drop of spilled blood is too much. But the realist in me knows that such a declaration amounts to saying that I will pay no price for freedom. I will risk nothing for liberty. I will accept equality and justice if they come to me without cost, but I am unwilling to sacrifice anything to obtain or defend them.

No doubt the antiwar left will focus on the number of lives lost in the war as they hit the streets for their protests today. Edwards' column puts the casualty statistics from the war into perspective. You can read it here.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter